FSSF-UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

torture boards

3 posters

Go down

torture boards Empty torture boards

Post  John Dallimore Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 pm

One of the veterans told me that during the early days of ski training they called their skis "torture boards". Never having been cross-country skiing before, I got myself a pair of 1942 skis and decided to try this out. How hard can it be? After the first 1/2 mile up hill with these things I realized why they called them torture boards. I thought I was in shape, but my heart was beating so hard I nearly burst my eardrums. The two WW2 ski boots weighed as much as an entire modern day set of cross country skies and boots. I weighed the skis, poles and boots and they added up to 24 pounds. A modern set weighs 6 lbs. I can't imagine how these guys did it with a full pack and rifle. So much for my product test report! I think I'll ski behind the weasel from now on!

Last edited by John Dallimore on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

torture boards Empty Re: torture boards

Post  Louie Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:38 am

24lbs! Sweet mother thats a lot to drag along, and like you say with rifle and pack as well!

Louie

Back to top Go down

Post  racanichou Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

yeah no kidding.

Also some of the vets call them that because they kept crashing when they were coming down!

racanichou

Back to top Go down

Post  John Dallimore Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm

A few of them told me hos they loved to get a rope and get towed behind the weasels. The problem was when they hit a patch of dry grass instead of snow and they all wiped out!
John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

Post  racanichou Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:04 pm

they must have been canadian as this is totaly the way we do business here!!!

racanichou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum