FSSF-UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

African-American Force replacements

3 posters

Go down

African-American Force replacements Empty African-American Force replacements

Post  John Dallimore Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I just had an interesting conversation with a member from our Missouri section. We were discussing black replacements in the Force. I had originally heard that blacks had been sent to Anzio as replacements but due to racial concerns, they were removed for their own safety. I then had the privilege of meeting one of these guys a few years ago. He said he was with the Force at Anzio, and I believe thru southern France. Has anyone done any research into these guys and what happened to them all? I've only met one, but there must have been more. Unfortunately I lost his name and contact info.

John

John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

African-American Force replacements Empty Re: African-American Force replacements

Post  John Dallimore Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:37 pm

I talked to Charlie Mann(4-3) today and asked him about black replacements. He said he thinks it was the Canadian Army that sent them, but they were removed right away. I didn't even know there were blacks in the Canadian Army in WW2???? Anyone know anymore about them? If Canadian, that would explain why the guy I met was from Toronto, Ontario.
John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

African-American Force replacements Empty Re: African-American Force replacements

Post  Oddangryshot Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Defently were blacks in the British army in WW1 and 2 some were even commissioned infantry officers in both wars. So no reason why there weren't blacks in the Canadian army on equal terms.

Danny

Oddangryshot

Back to top Go down

Post  SaddleTramp Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Going from memory here, book is boxed up...

I think at Anzio there was two Black replacements from the Canadian Army, Walker got wind of it, and Frederick got rid of them, here's a photo of one of them, Pvt L. States.... I'll try and find the reference and post later:
African-American Force replacements Lloyd

SaddleTramp
Admin

https://fssf-uk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum