FSSF-UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FSSF vehicle markings

2 posters

Go down

FSSF vehicle markings Empty FSSF vehicle markings

Post  John Dallimore Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:40 pm

I've often been asked about the markings on vehicles for the FSSF. In the earlier pictures I studied when they were in Helena, Montana, I could not see that they used any bumper markings at all. The hood would have the USA registration numbers in blue, and the hood star spanning the cowl and hood.

Overseas, the Force had a unique system that didn't correspond to the regs(surprise, surprise) which consisted of a pentagon on the left side, with a vehicle number on the right. Stars could be with/without a circle and the circle may or may not be broken. I've not seen pics from any side views of the vehicles where you could make out the stars well enough to come to a conclusion. Hood numbers were often repainted in white.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I could not find any evidence that the Force used the g506(above) truck overseas, but it was used in Helena to transport troops. It appears they mostly used the CCKW in Italy and France. Technically, that g506truck should not have the overseas markings, but a little liberty was taken with that one!

Last edited by John Dallimore on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

FSSF vehicle markings Empty Re: FSSF vehicle markings

Post  CRIMSON SPEARHEAD Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh no once they see this they will all be wearring them this year John Rolling Eyes

CRIMSON SPEARHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post  John Dallimore Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Yeah, but at least we can get them to do it right. I've seen it done wrong on so many vehicles it drives me crazy. We do almost all of ours to copy the original photographs.
John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum