FSSF-UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Johnson LMG vs. BAR

2 posters

Go down

Johnson LMG vs. BAR Empty Johnson LMG vs. BAR

Post  John Dallimore Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:04 pm

At the last reunion in Helena(2010) a group of us ventured west to Missoula, Montana to visit a collector/dealer of firearms and militaria. We had a great visit and dug through piles of military equipment in all his buildings. The highlight of the trip was when we told him our unit and he said he had something he wanted to show us. After rummaging around in a room, he walked out and handed me a Johnson LMG and with a grin on his face said"do you know what this is?"

Well, after my jaw hit the floor he went over and grabbed some 43 dated 30-06 ammo and we went out back and got to fire the Johnson at his range. The gun was in beautiful condition and functioned well. We were firing from the standing position and found that it had a lot of climb to it on full auto. You really had to control your bursts. I think it would have been better fired on the bipod, but it was still a very light weapon for it's caliber. I have fired a BAR at a different range and found it to be extrememly accurate and more controllable due to it's weight, but if I had to carry one all day, the Johnson was much lighter. I also think the BAR would be much more able to take abuse than the Johnson.

We tried to pay him for at least the ammo, but all he wanted was for us to buy him breakfast which we gladly did at a local diner. He sure made that reunion one we'll never forget!
John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

Johnson LMG vs. BAR Empty Re: Johnson LMG vs. BAR

Post  SaddleTramp Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Here ye go John, ye'll like this, about just passed halfway thru: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I love the way their so lightly armed and equipped.... Wink Very Happy

SaddleTramp
Admin

https://fssf-uk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  John Dallimore Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Paul-I think that was either a staged film, or those guys really hated that farmhouse. Five bazooka rounds, 2-3 mags from the Johnny gun and a belt from the .30 cal-all good movie stuff! It had to be on the breakout from Anzio or the cerreto-alto raid as it was in daylight.
John Dallimore
John Dallimore

Back to top Go down

Post  SaddleTramp Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:19 pm

John Dallimore wrote:Paul-I think that was either a staged film, or those guys really hated that farmhouse. Five bazooka rounds, 2-3 mags from the Johnny gun and a belt from the .30 cal-all good movie stuff! It had to be on the breakout from Anzio or the cerreto-alto raid as it was in daylight.

Aye, I mentioned that on one of the other forums, there is two or three other films in that place where ye can see the guy sitting there, waiting on the director, he looks back, and obviously the guy says "go" and off he heads... Definitely staged... However, the photo set in page 165, Supercommandos, a close up shows the guys firing at bodies in the distance running away.... bom

SaddleTramp
Admin

https://fssf-uk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum